Monday 17 February 2014

Lunar Theme Park - Guidelines

This week in Mathematics, Mrs Levi's group are designing their own Luna Theme park. The have been given a budget of $500 000 to build their park. Based on the attractions and amenities they have included and a realistic ticket price students need to calculate their profit and loss and modify their park as needed to ensure they run at a profit.

I was incredibly impressed with how engaged and focused they were today and look forward to seeing their progress over the next two days!! Here are the guidelines below (substitute dollars for pounds where needed 1:1).





What was your favourite part of this activity? What maths did you use to complete the task? Did you learn anything new? Did you enjoy applying your mathematics skills to a "real life"/fun task?

4 comments:

  1. To Mrs Levi
    I found the lunar theme park really fun. It was fun to do all the addition but it would've been better if we had more money and if we could've finished
    From Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily,
      I'm glad you enjoyed creating your theme park! I agree that it would be good to finish planning it, which is why we will be spending some time during the subtraction enrich group continuing with it - so work hard this week to place in that group :D
      From Mrs Levi

      Delete
  2. To Mrs Levi,
    I agree with Emily. I found it really fun with my group but we are only up to the part where we have to work out how much money we get everyday. On the day where theres only 124 people come, we still have 19,800 I think incluing the minus we have to do because of how much it cost to run the rides. Have you done a theme park Mrs Levi or have you just given it to us to solve?
    From Tiarhn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiarhn,
      I'm glad that you also liked the activity. That is great that you will make a profit of $19 800 even with so few people, it sounds like you are on track to earning back the $500 000 you spent building the park. If you earn well in excess of the $500 000 perhaps you could consider making your ticket prices cheaper or buying some advertising to create even more business and increase your profit further. I did a similar activity when I was at school and loved it, which is why I gave it to you to try, however I haven't created a new one this time.
      From Mrs Levi.

      Delete